Monday, April 18, 2011

Unity on Greenville


This Sunday, I went to Unity on Greenville—a Unitarian “church”. Unlike all the other denominations, which all had a “churchy” feel to them, there was no such thing at Unity, even though it was held in a church building.
           
            The church service consisted of lots of recitations and readings from things that were not Scripture. They had positive affirmations, such as, “I am strong, powerful, and confident.” The lesson was about becoming more spiritual through showing love. And, the “pastor” commented that it was wrong to worship Jesus, since the “divine spark is within all of us.” Before prayer, the leader started the first couple steps of hypnosis, and actually mentioned that they needed to alter their state of consciousness, so they dimmed the lights, and started a few breathing exercises before they started praying.

            The service was full of interesting phrases that orthodox Christians would find discomfort with. For instance, during their greeting they said the Hindu word, namaste (the god in me blesses and honors the god in you), which they used to mean, “The Christ in me blesses and honors the Christ in you.” The phrase, “The Christ in you,” was used throughout—in fact, the bulletin says, “Unity sees the good in all people and blesses the Christ—the Spirit of God—in everyone.” There was a recitation that stated, “There is only on Presence and one Power active as the universe and as my life, God the Good.” The prayers were offered to Mother-Father god (lack of capitalization mine).
           
            The atmosphere was very New-Age feeling. Very inclusive. There were multiple gay couples in the sanctuary; some were discreet, some were more, shall we say, flamboyant? One person looked like she was an old hippie which fit with the general New Age/hippie feel.

            The visit was very informative, but Unity is definitely not the place for me. In fact, I don’t think I would even give them the right to be called a church.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

O.O Wow... That's... Not surprising but all the same ridiculous. Do you think the repressed state for the desire of the flesh has led to this? I get a lot of "God hates Gays" and Christians (more so men) must be "in love with Jesus" but not gay and women are just repressed individuals who stay at home. I'm more curious about why "sex" is such a social issue... I mean, if my understanding is correct, there won't be any sex in heaven... There won't even be married couples for that matter

I'm trying myself to be more "inclusive" in that I'm not going to put myself in a position to "condem" people, but you have to draw the line somewhere...

There is only one all mighty judge and there are none righteous. What I'm getting at is, this desire for "coexistence" is wrong because there can only be one fundamental truth, one road to heaven, one God to worship. But how do we communicate that with the oppressive state telling us that we're wrong for thinking that way...? That we're being hostile to other faiths, sexual orientations, and practices because they are false, of the flesh, and futile to what true biblical Christianity really has to offer and says about our true nature.

I'm bearing witness to some incredible truths. How do I go about that without censorship?

I can't. We just have to be strong and steadfast with the Lord--Jesus Christ is the only truth, validated through His Word, and revealed by His creation.

Thanks for writing this blog and giving us some perspective. I guess I would only ask from your standpoint what is a real church in contrast to this one?

Randy White said...

very interesting post. I'm afraid we may begin to see more and more of the "unity" kind of "christianity" than we do of the real thing. It is the age-old "design your own god" religion.

Unknown said...

Time and time again we're warned against this... Through the entire history of the Bible and in the Old testament God warns His people not to dabble in the ways of other cultures, to not marry into their families, to not worship their false gods...

Back then it was easy to tell a carved piece of stone was an idol. Today, they come in all kinds of mysterious shapes and sizes: from our vanity to our mindless self-indulgence--we even tend to worship our ideas, intellect, and rationality among pop culture, tradition, and each other as individuals.

sanctified and holy means set apart--there is no unity for the spirit and the flesh.