Saturday, March 26, 2011

Islam Special

As I was checking the headlines at CNN this morning, I saw two articles on Islam that caught my eye, and I thought I would share with you.

The first one is about Muslims running for office in various races. Apparently this is the first organized drive in Illinois. It is always interesting to see various groups become politically active.

The second one is far more troubling. As part of a series on Islam, they are talking to a Christian, Mathew Miller, who converted to Islam. From what it seems, his family was very active in the church as he grew up. After his first prayer in a Muslim congregation, he said, “When I put my head on the ground with them, it felt like I could say anything to God, and what I was asking for at the time was guidance. I wanted to know whether what I was doing was the right thing to do.” Now, this is the question of our churches: if someone can go to those who do not have the truth, but yet they can convince him it is the truth, then why in the world are the guardians of The Truth squandering it?! I have seen this more commonly among people who switch denominations: they start asking questions, and the first people to answer them get the conversion (oftentimes, anyhow). Obviously our churches need to be better about explaining the Truth of the Gospel.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think there needs to be more "scholarly training" in the world of churches--very much like the training you get from a bible college--because too many of us walk into the church and shut our brains off. The only thing we want to hear is a message of hope that "I'm a good person" and "my future is secure" but that's being fed to us by an authority we trust who isn't God.

I won't place my confidence in a man... He is only a tool and tools become obsolete and dull over time. God on the other and (along with his Word) never changes and holds an unfailable "ring" of truth.

I think the one's answering people's questions get converted because their faith is weak or constrained to a closed school of thought. Seeing the world with a fresh pair of eyes is a shocking thing at times. Perhaps even the questions being asked to the first responders never once asked those questions themselves and are led to do more searching then they ever had before.

There was a time where I kept finding myself going back and forth between a Calvinistic and an Arminian beliefe system. Although I won't get into the depths of that here, I will say it is incredibly important to not only know who and what you believe in but also know why.

Great post! Thanks for sharing.