Monday, February 21, 2011

Church of the Incarnation

           (Read my disclaimer here.)

           My third visit took me to the Church of the Incarnation, which is Episcopal (Anglican). I walked into the building, which reminded me of a small cathedral on the inside. The ceiling was vaulted, and it had internal pillars as supporting walls. It had beautiful stained glass.
           
I arrived at the church twenty minutes early, so I found a seat in the church. The choir was still practicing, and I was immediately struck by their beauty. Their melody was classic sounding, performed perfectly and with incredible power. The entire sanctuary filled with their music. Combined with the architecture and the style of music, I immediately felt as if I were in a European cathedral.

            The service started with a procession led by the choir and concluded by the bishop, wearing his mitre. They went to the front and started moving through the liturgy. I felt out of place with the liturgy since it was so ritualized, and as a Baptist that is very different. The music was beautiful throughout, and the congregation (about 200 people—less than half of the seats were occupied) participated in ways that I rarely see Baptists participate.

            The “sermon” should not have been called that at all. The minister simply talked about keeping the heart warm in regards to loved ones, and not letting it grow cold. He gave some ideas about what made it go cold, and what warmed it up more. He never read any Scripture.

            When it came time to participate in Communion, I refrained, since I hold different beliefs on it from the Anglican church. They very orderly proceeded to the front as is common to anyone who has ever participated in the Mass.

            One of the strangest things was when I walked outside after the service. I looked over to where the chapel was, and saw the people exiting from the simultaneous contemporary service. On my left was the traditional service: most people were in suits and nice dresses, and the bishop was in his robes. On my right was the contemporary service: the worship leader had an unbuttoned collared shirt and blue jeans, and the congregants were all in blue jeans and t-shirts or open button down shirts. The contrast was remarkable!
           
The music was beautiful, the sermon was lacking, and I disagree with the church on numerous theological issues. But, there was something in me that connected with the ritual of it all. I also recognized that if I would have walked in from the street as a non-believer, I would not have found how to follow Christ in that service (I would think), although I would learn the Nicene Creed.

No comments: