Friday, December 14, 2007

Who Is The True Economic Conservative?

I have been facing allegations recently, that Governor Mike Huckabee is a "tax and spend liberal". However, I believe that a candidate will run the government similar to the way he runs his campaign, which he controls totally. To illustrate my point, George Bush spent more than any candidate in history to get elected, and as President, Surprise! he spent more than any President in history. So, who among the candidates has accomplished the most with the use of the least amount of money? Mike Huckabee! So, during the next few days I will compare Huckabee's campaign with the others. First up is Fred Thompson, I know, I know, it's like beating a dead horse since he has fallen so far in the polls, but it never hurts to push him further. For starters, Fred Thompson has raised (In politics we call that donations, in government it's called taxes.) over $10,000,000 more than Huckabee. Next, Thompson has spent $5,706,367 while Huckabee has spent only $819,379. That is 6.96 times less than Thompson. So who is the "tax and spend liberal"? Last up is deficit spending, which any true conservative will agree is a bad thing. Only Ron Paul has no debt. Fred Thompson has $678,432 in debt while Huck has only $47,810 in debt. That is 14.19016942 times less than Thompson's debt. Even if you compare their debt dollar-for-dollar, Huckabee's debt is still over 2.5 times less than Thompson's. So, who is the true economic conservative? Who is the candidate who practices what he preaches? It definitely is NOT Fred Thompson!

1 comment:

Stephen R. Maloney said...

Joshua: Below I've put in my response to your comment on my blog. I believe that as a "Christian teenager" you still need to be an honest teenager, not someone involved in various gyrations and spin-meistering. One reason Huckabee is running such a frugal campaign is that he is raising a lot less money than the other candidates. That is the main reason he has structured his campaign as he has. His strongest point lies in the hundreds of bloggers who are supporting him because of his religious beliefs, not because of his political policies. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Here's my comment from my blog:

Hi Joshua: The problem with Huckabee is that he's established himself as the "candidate of the evangelicals" and the candidate of no other groups. In other words, he's set himself up to win about 30% of the national vote -- and to cede roughly 70% of the vote to the Democratic candidate. As I explain in my colum today, Huck has a problem with younger voters, young female professionals, Blacks (who are 90%-plus to Hillary or Obama), Hispanics (because he believes he has to pander to anti-Hispanic voters), and urbanites.

The odd thing is that I don't believe anyone disagrees with the statement I've just made.

A major problem is that religious extremists, such as Rev. Laurence White, Larry Perrault, and Rev. Rude have coalesced around Huckabee.

Joshua, one thing you must do if you're truly serious about politics is to take a hard-eyed view of all candidates, including your "favorite one." I don't think you've done that.

I live in PA, an important state with many electoral votes. As the campaign has evolved, it's hard to see what appeal Huckabee has to Pennsylvania voters. No serious observer has come up with a way Huckabee would do well in this state (which went very narrowly for Kerry). As I point out today, Huckabee is the worst of all possible candidates right now.

steve maloney